3.04.2008

"Shut-up Already - I Know You Want a New Computer!"


I always know I'm excited about something because my girlfriend gets annoyed at me for telling her the same thing over and over again. Right now, I've been repeatedly telling her the following: I want to get a new gaming-capable computer as a compromise for not having a 360 or a PS3. My desire for a graphically-advanced gaming machine has stemmed largely from my renewed interest in maintaining this gaming blog. It made me realize the vast number of games I'm missing out on by only owning a Wii. I do like the idea of limiting myself to only one console because I just don't have the time to play every worthwhile game that's out there. That being said, I'm starting to get the itch to play games I've so far missed out on.


As companies, I have a distrust and dislike of both Sony and Microsoft. The extremely high cost of a PS3 turns me off, and I'm wary of the 360's unknown but seemingly high failure rate. Although the recent announcement of a Metal Gear Solid 4 PS3 bundle sent a shiver of excitement down my spine. As a compromise, I'm going to get a decent gaming PC. I also need a new PC in itself, because my nearly 6 year old laptop is ready to fall apart. So when computer shopping, I'm going to make sure to include a good graphics card, processor, and plenty of RAM.


I think a PC will be a good compromise because many of the console games I want to play also appear on PC, especially 360 games. Right now my list of games includes Bioshock, Half-Life and The Orange Box, the soon-to-be-released Mass Effect, and both Knights of the Old Republic games. I've done a little research online and am very excited at the prospect of a new computer. But I need to calm down because I won't be buying it until I leave Japan in about 5 months. So what game systems do you have, and how did you justify your decisions?

No comments: