9.03.2007

Cave Story: Where do all these indie games come from?

As you can tell from the title, I just discovered another indie game today, Cave Story. I ran into the name several months ago, as its popularity was setting fire to the Internet. But I disregarded it. It was created solely by a Japanese guy named Pixel, over the course of about 5 years, I think. I downloaded it, as well as an English patch that was actually authorized by Pixel, and finally checked it out. There are many sites you can download it from, but I got it from this fansite.

I've only played the first little prologue bit, but it's already both charming and addicting. Plus, it brings back fond memories of early Nintendo games, as Pixel's favorite games seem to have been games like Metroid, Castlevania, Zelda, and Mega Man. Cave Story looks amazing for solo indie production, and I can't wait to get further into it.

After Knytt Stories, and now Cave Story, I'm really starting to wonder if things actually come in threes. If so, I might be due for another independent game soon, possibly with the word "Story" in the title. Maybe tomorrow. Who knows? I'm off to the Cave, for now.

No comments: