10.09.2007

My Current Favorite Author - Michael Chabon

I just finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, which was one of my birthday presents. As the title says, it was amazing. I absolutely loved it. It's Chabon's third novel, and I've read all of them up to that point. K and C is a massive story, told on a grand, epic scale. It's similar in size and scope to novels like The Grapes of Wrath, or Lonesome Dove. The book covers some 20 or so years in the lives of the two title characters (who are cousins), and focuses on the rise of the comic book industry in America. Along the way, you run into famous figures (Houdini, Orson Welles), Nazis and WWII, magic and escape artistry, comic books (of course), and even a fight against the Nazis in the frigid wasteland of Antarctica. It's an absolutely incredible feat of writing, well deserving of the Pulitzer. I can't wait to read it again. Unfortunately, I have many other unopened books sitting on my shelf at this point. One of which is Chabon's book of short stories, titled Werewolves in Their Youth. He's a very talented writer. Highly recommended.

No comments: